A Life and Travel Blog for the over 30's

A Salesmans Dream?

July 3, 2016

This is what my husband calls me, and I have always adamantly denied it.

But I wonder, am I?? Let me explain. I love nice things, but don’t always have the excess cash to purchase the nice things I like. If and when I do have money that I feel I can spend, guilt free, I like to buy something that I wouldn’t normally buy. For example, I adore expensive shoes/bags/bath oils/cosmetics/candles etc. My husband thinks I am deranged that I am happy to spend £40 plus on a bath oil that will basically, go down the plug hole! He argues that I will buy anything that is wrapped up nicely, (I am a sucker for nice wrapping), put into a nice bag, (yep, love a pretty bag) and the creme-de-la-creme, have a bow on it, (ok, you’ve got me, I do love a bow). That does make me sound a little bit like a salesmans dream, I will admit.

IMG_0011

It has bows!!

But for me, it’s an experience that I am buying, not just the item. I love the whole thing from start to finish. I wake up excited on the day that I am off to buy whatever it is, and will even pick out my clothes carefully for the occasion (ok I admit, the clothes picking thing does sound a little deranged, but you surely cant go into Mulberry to buy a bag looking like a tatty, scruffy crazy lady).

The experience lasts all day for me! For Christmas, my in-laws kindly gave me some money to spend. I sat in my lounge the day after boxing day, with a new note-book opened just for the occasion, (bit weird?) and wrote down all that I had been coveting throughout the year. On this particular occasion, I decided that my first buy would be a Jo Malone bath oil. Iv never owned a Jo Malone bath oil.

IMG_0013_2

(I began a love affair with Jo Malone products in my 40th year, stemming from a bucket list of things to do now I was 40, but more about that another time) The whole experience in a Jo Malone shop, I think, is indulgent gorgeous-ness. As soon as you walk through the door you are hit with a waft of scent. The lovely staff, always beautiful and glossy haired, have their black Jo Malone aprons on and a ready smile. I ask them where the bath oils are, and they insist I take a seat. They will bring the oils to me. More than that, they will put some oil into little individual cups of water (Jo Malone cups of course) so that I can enjoy the “scensory journey” and pick the perfect scent for me. How lovely! With my decision made, they then take my chosen oil, and but it into a beautiful gift box. My glossy haired assistant perfectly ties a little black ribbon around the box, and places it into a gift bag. It dosent end there, the assistant then gathers up some shiny black tissue paper, and wafts (yes, wafts) it with a fragrance “that I can enjoy when I open the bag”.

IMG_1115
I leave, full of smiles, and proudly clutching my little bag, with my beautiful oil in it. I am a happy lady. My husband is just looking at me, slowly shaking his head, my actions having just cemented to him, that I am indeed a salesmans dream.
I think I just enjoy the whole experience, is there anyone else like me? Do I sound like a salesmans dream? Does anyone else find buying something you have longed for, an experience?

Please feel free to share this post
error

19 responses to “A Salesmans Dream?”

1. Sivylla Vassiadi says:

Jo Malone is one of my very favorite brands! Thanks so much for sharing this!

2. That would be me too having a notebook to jot things down in. Actually I like the idea of keeping a running list of things I saw during the year and when and if I get extra money I know what I can pick up before it gets spent on groceries or whatever. It sounded like a lovely experience.

• kerrylifeandloves says:

Thank you, I think that when shops get their service right, it converts me to a loyal customer. Money is hard earnt isnt it, we want our purchases to feel special, especially after all that thought and deliberation! Thanks for reading x

3. Haha this made me smile! I have never been to a Jo Malone shop but I’m dying to find my nearest one now. I looove doing my research before buying and I find that it just gets me in the mood, especially when I’m going to spend more money than I usually would. xx

• kerrylifeandloves says:

Well Im glad to make you smile lovely lady x. I like to make sure I am spending wisely if its a bigger amount of my hard earnt cash. Research is key! Plus, it gives me an excuse to carry around a note book, being the stationary obsessive that I am……..
      Thanks for reading xx

4. iwozereblog says:

I do enjoy rewarding myself with treats that I have been looking at for ages 🙂
    My most recent one of these was my Molton brown diffuser – Ylang Ylang and I don’t regret it one bit!

• kerrylifeandloves says:

Ohhhhh Im jealous! I have only ever had a Molton Brown candle once and it was amazing. I’ll be interested to know how long your diffuser lasts. Its nice to treat ourselves now and again eh! Thanks for reading lovely xx

• iwozereblog says:

I can certainly do that. It’s worth the purchase. It makes our lounge smell beaut. It’s hard finding one that fills the room xx

5. kaybe610 says:

Loved reading this 🙂 Haven’t tried any Jo Malone products before as it’s not on sale here in Belgium… it looks just soooo lovely and I bet it smells heavenly.

• kerrylifeandloves says:

Ohh Kathleen you are missing a treat, although I am sure you have equally amazing brands. What would your little treat be to yourself? Its nice to be a bit decadent sometimes isnt it x. Thanks for reading x

6. Grace says:

This sounds like such an amazing experience, I so want to buy something from Jo Malone (probably need to save a few more pennies for that hehe) but I totally understand what you mean about an experience. I always feel this if I go and spend a lot of money on higher end makeup because you’re testing out the products first and get samples! I am so a salesmans dream too, I always joke how I’m so that person that they’re trying to sell stuff too as I get roped into so much haha

• kerrylifeandloves says:

Hahahaha! At least we admit it eh Grace. We cant resist. You should pop into a Jo Malone shop and have a complimentary hand massage or something. They are so lovely and dont make you feel pressured to buy. Do it! Thanks for reading xx

7. Whole post is interesting but start is lovely. I also really like the feel of expensive products from packaging to how those things smell❤❤

8. I would love something from Jo Malone but I can’t bear to spend that much money 🙈

• kerrylifeandloves says:

I get it Emma, I do ummm and ahhh for a while. The funny thing is, I make the bath oil last months and months. I literally use a few drops as Im tight with it hahaha xx

9. I hope I’ll have at least one product by Jo Malone one day. I love their aesthetic and simplicity of brand. xx

I love reading your comments x

error

Please feel free to share!

%d bloggers like this: